Senior Optical Network Engineer
Would you like to perform rewarding work while contributing to the success of an established, growing company? ExecuTech Strategic Consulting is seeking a Senior Optical Network Engineer to support our client in Ft. Meade, Maryland.
Senior Defense Department officials have chartered the Joint System Engineering and Integration Office (JSEIO) located at the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Fort Meade, Maryland. JSEIO is the focal point for the Department of Defense in leading technical activities related to system-of-systems engineering of secure and survivable communications solutions under all possible environmental conditions. The Senior Optical Network Engineer position is an integral element of JSEIO. Specifically, this office provides systems engineering and technical integration across the three National Leadership Command Capability (NLCC) mission areas to include: Senior Leader Communications, Continuity Communications, and Nuclear Command, Control, and Communications. The Senior Optical Network Engineer will provide technical advisory assistance in designing, analyzing, testing, and acquisition of long-haul fiber optic telecommunications systems. Additional duties entail assessing technical requirements and evaluating new technologies for optical transport networks.
Job Responsibilities :
- Provide subject matter expert support to network integration and engineering services on optical communications engineering transport solutions
- Develop test plans, studies, evaluation criteria for test and evaluation of optical networks
- Conduct trade space analysis for technology solutions
- Evaluate new network technologies and make recommendations to project managers regarding integration of these technologies into the existing network(s)
- Conduct lab testing of software and new hardware
- Conduct routine open source research on trends and new products in the fiber optic telecommunications industry and report on the impacts of new technologies on current and future customer programs
- Advanced knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols, and network topology
- Knowledge of optical network technology such as, Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM), Synchronous Optical Network (SONET), Optical Transport Unit (OTU), and Optical Data Unit (ODU)
- Knowledge of optical network protection schemes; 1+1 and 1:N architectures, Unidirectional Path-Switched Ring (USPR), and Bidirectional Line-Switched Ring (BLSR)
- Excellent technical writing and oral communications skills
- Knowledge in DISA DODIN/DISN infrastructure and enterprise services
- Possess a background in analog and digital RF communication system architectures, including signal processing and modulation techniques
- Knowledge of Satellite Communications (SATCOM) systems and architecture
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Information Technology, or related discipline or equivalent experience. A minimum of five (5) years of experience designing and analyzing and/or acquisition of long-haul fiber optic telecommunications systems is required.
Clearance: Must have a current DoD Top Secret / SCI eligible clearance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear, use hands to keyboard and write. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
ExecuTech Strategic Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Full Time